OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 06:14:03 -0800
On Saturday morning just after sun-up, I filled my feeder while the "regulars" were watching from the roof.  Once inside, they came to eat.  After about 15 minutes or so, I heard some commotion and saw birds scattering everywhere.  Coming right into my porch was a Cooper's Hawk.  He landed right on the porch railing, not 3 feet from the glass door.  My 2 cats who like to watch the birds were frozen with eyes as big as saucers as they watched this incredible bird.  He sat on the railing for quite some time scanning everywhere until he finally noticed some branches moving in an evergreen tree across the yard.  What a sight and so close up.  While I am always thrilled to see all the wildlife creatures, years ago when I used to go out to photograph wildlife, I would spend hours in the woods trying to locate them and they were often hard to find, nowadays because they have less and less of their natural homes, they have to make do in the city, so that's the sad part.  Glad to
 see that many of them have adapted, but sad to see that they have to hunt in places like the side of a busy highway or from telephone wires.

  Joan Scharf

Joan M. Scharf