OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Caitlin Kight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:33:15 -0500
Hi all,
I'm a grad student (studying birds), freelance nature writer, and Ohio
native.  I have successfully pitched a story to BirdWatcher's Digest
(based in Marietta, OH), concerning the use of electronics and
technology for birding and whether they detract from or add to the
experience of birding.  I would like to do a large-scale survey of
birders to find out the range of opinions on this topic, what sort of
technology people use, and whether different groups of people (men vs.
women, older vs. younger, etc.) have different practices.

If you are interested in helping me out, you can send a reply directly
to me ([log in to unmask], specialagentCK@aol, [log in to unmask]).  Feel
free to include (or exclude) any of the following information:

1. Name
2. Age
3. How long you've been birding
4. How often you go birding
5. Whether/how often you have used the following: electronic bird song
devices (birdsong CD's, iPod birdsong programs, hand-held song tutoring
programs), birding programs (e.g. Thayer birding software, electronic
birding journals, etc.), internet resources (listservs--I think we've
got that covered!, websites such as those provided by Cornell or the
USGS for identification or background, websites with birding-related
information, such as maps, birdhouse plans, suet recipes, etc.),
navigation systems (in the car or handheld, for locating birding
sites), anything else I haven't thought of
6. Your opinions about the use of technology--does it add to your
experience? does it detract from being out in nature? is it better in
some situations than in others? does it make birding less pure?

Thanks in advance for everyone who participates.  I won't be mentioning
any actual names in the article, but I will definitely give credit to
all groups/organizations that contribute to my piece.  I would be happy
to send a final copy of my article to anyone who's interested, and to
follow up with publication information once I know more details. I look
forward to hearing from you!

Caitlin Kight
Department of Applied Science
College of William and Mary