OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:37:05 -0800
DEC. 16, 2007 - Greater Akron Audubon Society Christmas Bird Count - Cuyahoga Falls Count Circle (Indigo Lake,Towpath Trail Ira beaver pond,Old Trail School,Hale Farm & Village,Szalay's Farm,Towpath Trail at Bolanz Rd.,Shade Rd.,Martin Rd.,O'Neil Woods parking lot,Yellow Creek Rd.,Bath Rd.,Kemery Rd., Riverview Rd. to Deep Lock Quarry)
TIME: 6:30am-11:45am TEMP.:36-31 COND.: Overcast with rain early, snow developing, turning windy with white-out conditions by 11:30am, temp. dropping throughout the morning.
FT.MI.: 1.0 VEH.MI.: 24.2 OBS.: David Ford, Douglas W. Vogus, Jim Vogus.
I. MAMMALS: 5 SPECIES.
1. Coyote - 4 or 5 (calling/answering)
2. Eastern Gray Squirrel - 1
3. Eastern Fox Squirrel - 6
4. Red Squirrel - 3
5. White-tailed Deer - 17 (10-pt. buck, 16 does)
II. BIRDS: 40 SPECIES, 971 INDIVIDUALS.
(NOTE: ?= bird was seen but not sexed; *= bird was heard calling but not seen)
1. Canada Goose - 398
2. Gadwall - 2 (f)
3. American Black Duck - 2 (1m,1f)
4. Mallard - 59 (mixed flocks)
5. Northern Shoveler - 9 (?)
6. Wild Turkey - 12 (2m,10f)
7. Cooper's Hawk - 1 (juv. m)
8. Red-tailed Hawk - 1 (adult)
9. Peregrine Falcon - 1 (adult m)
10. Ring-billed Gull - 1
11. Mourning Dove - 161
12. Great Horned Owl - 2 (*)
13. Barred Owl - 1 (*)
14. Belted Kingfisher - 1 (m)
15. Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1 (*)
16. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1 (adult)
17. Downy Woodpecker - 4 (2m,1?,1*)
18. Hairy Woodpecker - 1 (?)
19. Blue Jay - 18
20. American Crow - 76
21. Black-capped Chickadee - 15
22. Tufted Titmouse - 2
23. White-breasted Nuthatch - 3 (1m,1?,1*)
24. Carolina Wren - 3
25. Eastern Bluebird - 1 (f)
26. American Robin - 6
27. European Starling - 47
28. Cedar Waxwing - 4
29. Eastern Towhee - 1 (m)
30. American Tree Sparrow - 19
31. Song Sparrow - 4
32. Swamp Sparrow - 1
33. White-throated Sparrow - 16
34. Dark-eyed Junco - 1 (m)
35. Northern Cardinal - 27 (11m,8f,1?,7*)
36. Red-winged Blackbird - 37 (mixed flock)
37. Brown-headed Cowbird - 1 (m)
38. House Finch - 2 (1m,1*)
39. American Goldfinch - 13
40. House Sparrow - 16
***notes on some of the birds spotted on Sunday***
1. Canada Goose - 13 geese were on Indigo Lake with most of the Mallards; 217 geese were on the Ira/Towpath beaver pond in a small pocket of open water. Of these 217 geese all but 4 were of the small/lesser race, with short stocky necks and smaller bodies. At Szalay's corn fields we counted 168 Canada's coming and going, all of the more standard-sized, typical honker's.
2. The two female Gadwall were mixed in with the geese at the beaver pond, and they eventually took flight and headed north.
3. the two black ducks were spotted overhead at the Bolanz Rd. parking lot at the Towpath Trail, heading north as well.
4. Also, while at the Bolanz lot we observed a flock of 9 shovelers heading south that may have ended up landing at Indigo Lake, the general direction they were heading. Increasingly low visibilty made it too difficult to determine drakes & hens.
5. The 12 turkeys were in the backyard of the brown house along Riverview Rd. where the R.R. tracks cross over Riverview Rd. They were feeding under their bird feeders.
6. The obvious bird of the day was the adult male Peregrine Falcon at the boardwalk at the Ira towpath section. After leaving Indigo to get what ducks we could before they scattered, the next stop was the boardwalk, around 7:45/8am.
The falcon was in the tallest dead sycamore along the canal. We watched as he shrugged off the rain and brought up that big yellow foot to scratch his head. He then darted north, only to return a couple of minutes later to another sycamore   at the spit of land jutting into the marsh. He was on an uneasy perch, and soon darted east towards the Cuyahoga River. We never did relocate the bird.
7. All of the doves were seen at Szalay's corn fields feeding with the geese on the field corn waste from this past season's "corn maze". Flock after flock came in to feed and were joined by 36 of the 37 red-wings we had for the day.
8. Calling for Barred Owls at Indigo Lake at 6:30am rewarded us with an answer coming from the Hale Farm/Old Trail School area. The owl never came closer, probably because of the two Great Horned Owls calling around 7am just north of the Indigo Lake parking lot.
9. Belted Kingfisher male fishing at the open water at the boardwalk.
10. Yellow-bellied Spasucker at the lock just before the boardwalk, working the Norway spruce there, just like last year.
11. Eastern Bluebird female near the white barn off Bath Rd. near Deer Run Trail of O'Neil Woods.
12. Eastern Towhee male at Bolanz parking lot.
13. Swamp Sparrow at the boardwalk.
14. Brown-headed Cowbird - single male perched in a tree at Hale Farm & Village.
Douglas W. Vogus - Akron, Ohio.