OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2007 18:33:04 -0500
On the advice of certain people here I have been looking at every
individual in a flock and it has paid off.  Today I went to Hoover saw
some interesting birds.  I made stops all the wayt from the dam around to
Red Bank Marina on the west bank.

Hooded Mergansers
Red-Breasted Mergansers (mixed in wwith the Hooded Mergansers)
Mallards
Canada Geese including Richardson's, Lesser, Greater, Dusky, and Cackling
Buffleheads
1 pair of Ruddy Ducks
1 pair of Northern Pintals (mixed in with a flock of Mallards on the
spillway pond)
1 pair of Northern Shovellers (mixed in with a flock of Mallards below the
spillway)
A large flock of gulls which turned out to be all Ring-Billed Gulls but
there were adults and second winter in that flock.
Northern Cardinal
White Breasted Nuthatch
A pair of Swamp Sparrows

I saw a very large flock of Canada Geese in the area immediately above the
Smothers Road causeway,  In that flock I saw two collard geese.  One of
those looked like he may have been a dusky goose, the other possibly a
cackling goose or maybe even an Aleutian Goose.  There was a goose in the
flock that looked like a hybrid Canada Goose-Graylag goose.  He had orange
legs and an orange bill with some white on his face but also son black
spots.  I thought I saw a goose with red on it in the flock.  It turned
out to be a wounded Greater Canada Goose.  It was wounded right at the top
of the leg with blood staining the white feathers.