OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:00:39 EST
The recent snow has provided some pleasant birding opportunities. I have
been able to locate mixed flocks of Horned Larks, Lapland Longspurs and Snow
Buntings along the rural roads on the east and northeast side of Hoover
Reservoir and Galena (Delorme 58C3). I first located them Saturday afternoon.  The
rest of my team for the Hoover Reservoir CBC headed home to avoid the
deteriorating road conditions. Being originally from New England I headed out  later to
see if the snow had pushed any interesting species out onto the road  edges.
The birds were in fairly good numbers and as a bonus I located a small  flock
of 18 Wild Turkeys. Subsequently I talked Linda into going out to see them  and
we were rewarded with even better looks as they approached the car as they
picked at grass seed and gathered grit along the edge of the road. The numbers
don't approach Rick Count's up at CH-112 in Wyandot County, but for southern
Delaware County they were a good find. They were still around in numbers
today  but they are further from the road and you have to watch for the movement
in the  crop stubble.

Charlie Bombaci