OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:50:23 -0500
There is widespread interest in reducing window-kill. Experience with decals
and other methods can be shared through this Listserv: My thanks to Darlene
for bringing this recent development to our attention.

I've tried the opaque raptor silhouettes with some anecdotal success
reducing strikes by birds trying to fly through my breezeway.

I recently found a discussion about using highlighter pens to draw net
patterns on window glass toward the same end. See this discussion on David
Sibley's website. I'll test this next though the recent problem I'm
experiencing may be beyond simple solutions.

The high efficiency glass of my friend's window on wildlife is resulting in
wildlife on window due to the reflection of the horizon and on the savvy
hunting strategy of the local Cooper's Hawk.

Last week, I witnessed four attempts in three days. Three attempts followed
the same pattern: The hawk perches at a distance in the nearby woodlands,
opposite the feeding station from the house. When large numbers of birds are
gathered, it flies straight at the feeding station, toward the house. The
gathered birds scatter, one or two hitting the large window on wildlife. The
Coop's then lands nearby and watches the stunned birds for a moment, then
drops on one! So far juncos are taking the hit, though one dove made a good
meal early last week. One attempt was made on a lone Downy Woodpecker that
froze on the bottom of the suet feeder for a few minutes as I watched, and
the Coop's watched from the home-side of the feeding station. The Coop's
finally made an attempt, but failed because no window intervened, I think.

Maybe feeders are a contributing reason for the expansion of the Cooper's
Hawk into suburban areas?

Tom Bain
Glaciated Allegheny Plateau
Ross County