OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:07:21 -0500
This was posted on West Virginia Birds about an hour ago by Jon Benedetti,
so birders in this area of SE Ohio may want to keep an eye out. An American
White Pelican was seen earlier today near Tuppers Plains, Ohio (DeLorme 80
C4).  I'm trying to dig up some more information on the exact loaction of
this bird. Anyhow, here it is.

""I got this from Allan Elberfeld, who lives in Tuppers Plains, Ohio.

"   great sighting. I opened your mail at 3;00 or so and thought wow,
something like that around here. I had an errand to run, so I got in
the car to drive to town, rural Tuppers Plains, thinking about the
pelican. just as i topped the hill, i saw a huge white bird with black
tipped wings gently flapping in the sky. three beats and then glide..
No way I thought and tore down  the road to sewage plant lots of
private ponds nearby too.. Got a good look and it was the pelican.
nothing else even comes close. to big for a gull , not a swan .saw it
at 3:27. If hadnt been for your e-mail, would have missed it.   "

   So the Pelican probably went southwest into Ohio.  Unless there
were two single Am. White Pelicans up here today?

   Jon Benedetti
   Vienna, WV
   Wood County (last sighting in Washington County, Ohio)