OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2007 20:24:08 -0500
I spent this weekend in Northwest Ohio and got a chance to get out on
Saturday morning.  There were some decent birds around.  At Ottawa Refuge, I
had a MERLIN along Stange Road at the west end of the refuge.  In That same
area I had 3 harriers and a rough-legged hawk and a flock of 6 snow geese.
At Magee marsh, there was a SHORT-EARED OWL along the causeway.

I checked the Marblehead-Catawba-Resthaven area since there are a lot of
fruit bearing shrubs throughout that area.  I had a few flocks of cedar
waxwings, but no Bohemians.  The only winter finches I saw were 6 common
redpolls at East Harbor.  Across from the entrance Road at East Harbor there
was a single CACKLING GOOSE feeding with a group of 100+ Canada geese.  Also
across from the entrance there was a NORTHERN SHRIKE.  Checking the state
park marina at West Harbor, There were 50+ great blue herons, 1 GREAT EGRET,
and 2 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS.  While crossing the Sandusky Bay Bridge at
the east end, south of the road there were approximately 60+ great blue
Herons, 3 GREAT EGRETS, and undoubtedly the best bird of the day, a
GLOSSY/WHITE-FACED IBIS sitting with all the herons.  We did watch the same
are on the way through this afternoon,but did not see the ibis.  Yesterday
all of the birds were sitting on the bay side of all of the vegetation and
today everything was in the vegetation.  I only saw a single egret today.
There was a large flock of Canada Geese just east of Medusa Marsh.  In that
flock there were 2 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and 3 CACKLING GEESE.  If you
take the road along the north side of Medusa east you'll come to a bar just
east of the marsh.  The geese were southeast of the bar.

Today there was a flock of 200+ TUNDRA SWANS along Rte 163, a little west of
Graytown Road.  I also stopped by the Huron River but saw only about 100
gulls, nothing of note.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081