OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 09:57:45 -0800
Hey all -

Today was pretty incredible out on the lake.  The
oddball bird of the day had to be a BLACK VULTURE
flying parallel to North Marginal Rd, over I-90.  I
spotted it from the first pulloff on N. Marginal and
had the bird in view for probably 15 minutes, as it
moved slowly westward into a stiff wind.  It was
mobbed by a Peregrine and gulls several times.  Jerry
Talkington snapped pictures of this bird, as well as
the gannet.

The NORTHERN GANNET was at East 72nd for most of the
morning, and came in quite close to the shore to feed
twice.  When it wasn't feeding it sat out with the
gull flock quite a ways out.  A first-winter THAYER'S
GULL also put in an appearance and at least 5 adult
Lesser Black-backeds were present.

Burke had at least one Rough-legged and one harrier.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland