OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 17:28:27 -0500
I travelled the west bank of Hoover Reservoir from Galen to the dam today
and made several stops.  There wasn't much on the water but there were
some interesting things to see in the woods.
As usual, my first stop was the Red Bank Marina.  There wasn't much there
except some Canada Geese on the grass and 10 Hooded Mergansers on the
water.
The next stop was the boardwalk near Galena.  The usual Canada Geese and
Mallards were the only birds in the water.  The woods beside the boardwalk
yielded some interesting sightings though.
1 Yellow Rumped Warbler
1 male Downy Woodpecker
1 Dark Eyed Junco
13 Eastern Bluebirds (males and females)

The next stop was Oxbow Recreation Area.  There I saw:
2 Carolina Wrens
2 Hairy woodpeckers
4 Downy Woodpeckers
2 Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
Canada Geese on the water
Mallards flying over
Ring-Billed Gulls flying over
1 Red Tail Hawk in flight

Next stop was Mud Hen Marsh
1 Northern Cardinal
1 pair of Mallards
1 Great Blue Heron

Below the dam on the spilway
2 pairs of Buffleheads
10 pairs of Mallards

Above the dam
1 Red Necked Grebe
numerous Canada Geese, Mallards, and Ring-Billed Gulls
18 Rock Pigeons
1 gull I was unable to identify.  The picture of it is posted in the bird
identification section of the forum.