OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
William Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 18:46:30 -0500
I went to Oak Openings in hopes of seeing a Pine Grosbeak, but no such luck.
Saw some nice feeder birds up close at the Buehner Center Window including some fine Pine Siskins.  But the real treat for me was a monster flock of Snow Buntings apparently putting down for the night along Huffman Road about 3 miles due South-Southeast of Bowling Green.  The birds were very close to the ground and literally covered the field, Winter Wheat I think.  They were settling into the Portage Middle Branch flood plain on the East side of Huffman Road.  My best estimate would be 500+, all snbus. Huffman Rd parallels I-75 about 1 mile East and can be accesed from St. Rt 6 at the Bowling Green South interchange.
Since the snow melt I have seen very few snbus.  But this flock really grabbed me.
Also saw fair numbers of raptors over the fields and along the roads.  Red-Tailed Hawks, Coopers Hawks, American Kestrels, and Harriers.  Sure hope they all hang around for the Winter Bird Atlas
Merry Christmas to all and to all Good Night.

Bill Rinehart
Bloomdale, OH
Southern Wood Co.
DeLorme 37,C4