OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 06:48:09 -0800
Yesterday while out trail riding around 11:30 am, I spotted two adult
eagles sitting on a tree branch side by side along the Chagrin River in
Willoughby Hills.  I know these two birds as I watched them raise a
youngster in the spring who now is spotted along Lakeshore Blvd quite
often.  They sat for at least a half hour and then flew off heading north
along the Chagrin River toward the lake.  In late afternoon, a wonderful
hawk was seen flying in the field across the street from my house.  He
landed on top of a light pole where I was able to grab my binoculars
for a good look.  It was fascinating to see him scanning the field
looking for his prey as he turned his head from side to side.  At first I
thought it was a red-tailed hawk, but after looking through the glasses,
I couldn't quite make out the species.  He was bigger than a red tail,
brown with white patches on this back.  When he turned his head, I saw
that his head was brown but had white stripes or streaks
extending outward toward his back.  I'm going to check the field guide
on this, but I don't think it was a red tail although there are more
than ever around right now. I spot them every day along freeways, on
telephone wires, yesterday there was one on a tree near the railroad
tracks in Eastlake going towards Target.  They seem to be thriving.

Joan M. Scharf