OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:07:48 EST

The 2007 Hoover Reservoir Christmas Bird Count
2007 marked the 52nd Hoover Reservoir Christmas Bird Count. The Hoover
Reservoir Circle includes Hoover Reservoir, Alum Creek Reservoir, Westerville
Reservoir, areas along the Olentangy River, Highbanks Metro Park, Inniswood  Metro
Park, Sharon Woods Metro Park, Camp Mary Orton, Westerville and portions  of
Southern Delaware County.
My intrepid teams had a challenging day as the snow began at about 11:30  AM
and continued for most of the afternoon. They showed true grit as they
covered the majority of the area and compiled a surprising list for the  conditions.
Several species were recorded that had not been found in the circle  for
years, whereas some species that were thought to be give-me’s were nowhere  to be
found.
Highlights for the 2007 count included setting new record highs for 3
species and recording species not located for 51 and 24 years in the  circle. Our
final count was 75 species.
The 2008 Hoover Reservoir Christmas Bird Count will be held Saturday,
December 20, 2008.
Charlie Bombaci, Compiler
Hoover Reservoir CBC
==================
The species recorded were as follows:
1 Common Loon
10 Horned Grebes
18 Great Blue Heron
2 Mute Swan
1,722 Canada Geese
1 Cackling  Goose
2 Mute  Swan
1 Wood  Duck
14  Gadwall
88 American Black Duck
617 Mallard
4 Northern  Shoveler
9 Northern  Pintail
5  Green-winged Teal
11 Ring-necked Duck
1 Lesser  Scaup
28 Bufflehead
2 Common Goldeneye
189 Hooded Merganser
7 Common Merganser
10 Red-breasted  Merganser
24 Ruddy Duck
6 Bald  Eagle
1 Northern  Harrier
2  Sharp-shinned Hawk
8 Cooper's Hawk
21 Red-tailed  Hawk
8 American  Kestrel
18 Wild  Turkey
1 American  Coot
1 Killdeer
25 Bonaparte's Gull
507 Ring-billed Gull
78 Rock Pigeon
231 Mourning Dove
3 Great Horned Owl
4 Barred Owl
7 Belted Kingfisher
3 Red-headed  Woodpecker
46 Red-bellied Woodpecker
70 Downy Woodpecker
16 Hairy  Woodpecker
43 Northern  Flicker
8  Pileated Woodpecker
150 Blue Jay
206 American Crow
181 Horned Lark
222 Carolina Chickadee
2  Black-capped Chickadee
117 Tufted Titmouse
51 White-breasted  Nuthatch
9  Red-breasted Nuthatch
1 Brown Creeper
21 Carolina  Wren
1  House Wren
47 Eastern Bluebird
150 American Robin
2 Northern Mockingbird
600 European Starling
9 Yellow-rumped Warbler
233 Cedar Waxwing
97 American Tree Sparrow
3 Field Sparrow
57 Song Sparrow
2 Swamp Sparrow
133 White-throated Sparrow
7 White-crowned Sparrow
162 Dark-eyed Junco
101 Lapland  Longspurs
34 Snow  Buntings
268 Northern Cardinal
1 Red-winged  Blackbird
2 Purple Finch
272 House Finch
259 American Goldfinch
112 House Sparrow
7,383 Individuals
75 Species
14-17 Teams in the field
48 Participants
2 Feeder Watchers
Count Week: Pied-billed Grebe, Black Vulture, Red-shouldered Hawk,
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Fox Sparrow, and Winter  Wren.