OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Brohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 10:38:22 -0500
On November 30, I saw two Plegadis sp. ibis land in the wet area just east
of Rt. 269 just as we pulled off of Route 2. They hovered and then landed
just beyond the Phragmites. My husband and I got good looks at them but
not enough to distinguish which species. What a surprise! The wind was
very strong that day. We also saw Tundra Swans just to the west of 269 and
about a dozen Ruddy Ducks at the old bridge.
On the morning of December 2, I saw a northern shrike land in a tree near
the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center parking lot. I also saw
a few Hooded Mergansers at Magee.
On December 3, back on South Bass, the following were seen in a drive
around the island. We are finally starting to see waterfowl in larger
numbers with the change in weather.

Back Monument Bay
Tundra Swans 40
Canada Geese xxx