OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 00:05:39 -0500
The previously reported Gannet was at the East 72nd location this afternoon
for the entire time I was there, which was about 3 hours from approx. 11 AM
- 2 PM.  This bird was hanging out in the water approximately 300 yards off
shore and would fly in closer to dive and fly around, often returning to the
same area that it was in before it flew.  The gulls were harassing the bird
in the water and in flight.  I've put some images of this bird on the Ohio
Birding Forum.

Also, I've never seen so many black-backed gulls as I did today, at times up
to ten Great-blacked backed Gulls in one field of view through the binos,
and I think Lesser-black backed may have out-numbered the GBB's.  This was a
great opportunity to see the differences between these two species.  Also
seen by me were two different Glaucous Gulls, and others reported one
Thayer's Gull.

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake