OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:34:20 -0500
I stopped by E. 72nd Street yesterday afternoon on my way back from
Christmas in Pennsylvania with family.  I arrived at about 3:15 pm.
There were an enormous number of gulls in the area on the water and in
the air as far as I could see to the west and to the east.  I had seven
species of gulls including the usual Herring, Ring-billed, Great
Black-backed and some Bonaparte's Gulls.  The Bonaparte's Gulls were
mostly out over the lake, but I saw one in close by the hot water
outlet.  I had three different Glaucous Gulls, one an immature/2nd year
that was light buff colored, an adult bird, and a third year bird that
was almost completely gray backed but still had the black tipped bill.
I saw one immature Iceland Gull and one Lesser Black-backed Gull.  I
also saw the possible hybrid HerringxGreat Black-backed Gull, previously
reported.  At about 4:15 pm I saw the Northern Gannet (NOGA) fly in from
the east low over the water and land in or beyond the gull flock.  The
bird was quite far out just at or slightly closer than the far jetty.
The light was getting poorer by then, and I did not have a telescope to
find it on the water.  After I first found it, the NOGA flew for about
100-200 yards and then quickly landed on the water.  I left the area
just before 5:15 pm.

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH