OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nathaniel Nye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:02:50 -0500
Hey there,

There are 3 Greater White-fronted Geese out at the same ol' pond across the
street from my house right now.  I posted some (low-quality,
but OK) pictures of them at
http://www.dropshots.com/nyefamily#date/2007-12-29/13:31:26.  Sorry,
photography is not something I spend a lot of time or money on, I just like
to document uncommon sightings.  So, I don't know why this pond is such a
goose-magnet!!  I'm lovin it though.  That makes four species of geese for
this pond within 1 week.  I haven't seen the Cackling Goose or Snow Goose
since Christmas Day, when he was out on the pond with the Snow Goose and
Canadas, despite constant vigilance and a couple trips to the cornfields
just west of here.  There are still large numbers of geese in the general
area of SW Hilliard, but their movement patterns seem to shift every couple
of days.  For example, the pond at Nike & Spindler has been pretty empty for
days (used to be a favorite daytime gaggle spot), except in the evenings
when several flocks show up to roost.  I'm interested to see what the rest
of the winter will bring to the pond!

I was curious about what waterfowl the Darby Lakes (at Prairie Oaks
MP) might hold, so I jetted out there just a couple hours ago and only found
about 50 Canada Geese, 7 Ruddy Ducks, 4 Ring-neckeds, ~25 coots, and ~10
mallards.  Plus a kestrel, a red-tail, and some tree sparrows.  That's all
for now!  Have a great weekend!

-Nate Nye
Hilliard