OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:41:31 -0500
After an anticipated home arrival (rural and heavily forested DeLorme 70 D2)
from an 8 day holiday tour de family, it was really nice to hear two
counter-singing Great Horned Owls break the great stillness and silence of
the frozen forest.  What a majestic component of the forest ecosystem!

This morning after filling the feeders, I noticed the first American Tree
Sparrow of the season coming to my feeders.  I've been patiently waiting on
this guy.  Didn't take long for the Sharp-shinned to buzz through.  Five
minutes later an Eastern Screech Owl made its presence known with its soft
whinny call from the edge of the woods.

Glen Crippen
Burr Oak Lake