OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:34:55 -0800
I did my regular CBC route for the Columbus count today. I have been doing the same route since 1992 and it's always interesting to see the fluctuations over the years. My route covers the Scioto from 5th Ave south to I-670 including the Watermark Quarry, and also the Griggs Dam area.  Highlights today were a good general assortment of waterfowl as Steve Landes already mentioned from his routes. Bigger numbers occur in colder years when there is only limited open water and the open areas of the Scioto attract big concentrations, but at least variety was good today. Unlike Steve further north, I didn't find many Brown Creepers today and wondered where they all were.  Most typical woodland birds were few and far between today except Downy Woodpeckers and C. Chickadee. Starling, Robin, and White-throated Sparrow numbers were below average, probably because there isn't much fruit left in the honeysuckles. Cedar Waxwings and Hermit Thrushes were totally absent today. Having this many coots around at this time of year is unusual here. My previous high count was only 14 way back in 1994, and most years they don't make the CBC at all.  Most of the waterfowl could be seen in the Watermark Quarry and the bike path south of 5th Ave. in case anyone wants to get a quick start on Tuesday for their 2008 lists. This was my highest number ever for Wood Duck, which had only been recorded 3 times before on this CBC route.

Canada Goose  - 186
Mute Swan - 1
Wood Duck - 8
Gadwall - 6