OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 21:27:59 -0500
East 72nd Street was excellent today.  I was there from about 11:00-2:00.
The northern gannet was not seen while I was there (maybe it was in a
cornfield in Fremont).  There were plenty of gulls to make up for it.  Gulls
were everywhere.  I did most of my watching at the hot water outlet and in
the marina and basin to the east.  Besides the common ones (Bonaparte's,
ring-billed, herring, and great black-backed (200+)) here are my totals:

Glaucous gull   4 (3- 1st year and 1- adult) (one of the first year birds
was missing part of its lower mandible)
Kumlien's Iceland gull  1- 1st year bird
Lesser black-backed gull   12 (4- 1st year, 2- 2nd year, 1- 3rd year, and 5-
adults)
Great black-backed x Herring gull hybrid   1 adult

In addition to these I had what appeared to be a 2nd winter California gull
in the furthest east basin (east of the marina).  I first noticed it due to
its darker mantle.  There was smudging around the eye and streaking on the
back of the head and nape.  The bill was long thin, with no noticeable
gonydeal angle.  The bill was  yellowish with a well demarcated dark tip.
It was slightly larger than the ring-billed gulls, but noticeably smaller
than the nearby herrings.  Unfortunately all the gulls flew and I was unable
to relocate it.  The basin  was pretty decent today with at least 2 of the
glaucous, the Iceland, 3 lesser black-backed gulls, and the hybrid all in
this area.

John Pogacnik
4765 Lockwood Road
Perry, OH 44081