OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2007 21:29:49 -0500
While birding at Killdeer this last Friday my dad, brother and I witnessed
some interesting behavior from a young eagle.  We were at the ponds on the
south end.  There was a fairly large flock of Swans in groups in the small
areas that were not frozen.  Smack in the middle was an adolescent bald
eagle.  He was standing on the ice.  He would hop over and peck at a swan
and try (I assume) to get it to fly.  Well the swans were having none of
that and he was getting increasingly frustrated.  Hopping on the ice and
then flying up about 10 feet and landing within a foot or two of another
swan.  The swans would lean back and honk ( although it was to windy to hear
them) but not fly.  He finally got frustrated with the whole group and just
left.  All in all it was one of the funniest displays of a teenager I have
seen in a long time!!

Shaune