OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:31:34 -0500
Most of the expected birds crowded around the feeders, including under the
rather unruly forsythia where I scatter safflower and black oil sunflower
seed.  At the suet feeders, I had two male common grackles.  I don't recall
ever having seen them at my feeders in December.

Seen, in no particular order:

Red-breasted nuthatch (A neighbor has some old gnarly cedar trees, and the
RBNU hides in them and darts out for black oil sunflower seeds.)

White-breasted nuthatch

Carolina chickadee

A zillion house sparrows

Quite a few European starlings

A lot of house finches

Many American goldfinches

7 or 8 - at least- northern cardinals

A blue jay

A couple of mourning doves

A single song sparrow - ground-feeding

Quite a few dark-eyed juncos

Some crows in the trees, but not at the feeders

My fav - the Carolina wrens

Tufted titmouse

Canada geese fly-overs

Two male common grackles

Interestingly, the downy woodpeckers (at least one male and one female) are
eating black oil sunflower seeds, and ignoring the suet feeders.

Red-bellied woodpecker

The neighborhood Cooper's hawk buzzed the feeders once, but didn't come
back.

It will be back to work tomorrow, but despite grading papers most of the
day, it was a great day for window-birding.

Margaret Bowman

Licking Co., OH