OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Heck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2007 18:34:39 -0500
Thanks to the many people who replied to my query about creating maps for
CBCs.  Judging by the number of people who suggested methods, as well as the
several people who had additional questions, it seems that this is a topic
of interest.  So here's a quick summary of the suggestions that I've
received.

*Microsoft Streets and Trips*

The most popular computerized method for creating CBC maps was Microsoft
Streets and Trips software.  (See
http://www.microsoft.com/streets/default.mspx for information.  MS shows the
list price at $150, but that's the deluxe version; the basic version can be
purchased for under $40 from numerous vendors.)  Craig Rierker, Delores
Cole, and  Mary Anne Romito all have used this software for CBC maps.

In fact, Craig produced maps showing all of the CBC circles in Ohio, and you
can see them at the OOS Web site (overview is at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/winter_counts/overview.php and a full
scale map at  http://www.ohiobirds.org/calendar/winter_counts/imagemap.php
.)

Craig has generously volunteered to produce maps for individual count
circles for anyone who needs one.  You can email him at [log in to unmask]
.  He sent me maps for two counts that I will be doing and I can vouch for
their utility!

*DeLorme Maps*

Mike Busam has used DeLorme topo map software.  (See
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10050.
DeLorme lists the new national version 7 of the  software for $100; version
6 is available for under $50, and regional and state versions may be
available for less.)

*GIS Systems*

Really high-end maps can be created with "industrial grade" Geographic
Information Systems (GIS) software, of which the best known is ArcGIS.  At
least one person has used ArcGIS (installed at his office) to create a CBC
map, and Kathy Beal reports that she has GIS software installed on a
workstation at home.  A high end GIS is more than most of us need, but if
you really want to know the *exact* boundaries of your count circle, this
kind of software can tell you.  If you need detailed maps, get in touch with
Kathy ([log in to unmask]).

*Google Earth*

Aaron Boone  posted a message earlier describing how to use Google Earth to
produce maps.  I won't repeat those instructions here, but if you missed
Aaron's note, either he or I can forward a copy.

*Scanned Paper Maps*

And finally, let's not forget computer-assisted paper maps!  John Perchalski
produced maps by scanning topo maps into Photoshop and overlaying the needed
count circle.  Why not just draw a circle on a paper copy of the map, you
ask?  Because all or part of the resulting map in Photoshop (or any sofware)
can be printed out at any size desired.

*Miscellaneous*

Several people pointed out that Google Earth, Microsoft Virtual Earth, or
Microsoft Live Maps (http://maps.live.com/) can be used to provide an
orientation to a CBC territory.  In particular, Live Maps provides
high-resolution aerial photos for many locations, particularly urban ones.
(Having hi-res aerial photos available is either really neat or really
scary, depending on how you look at it!.  Enter your address -- you'll be
amazed at the photos of your neighborhood.)   The Microsoft Streets and
Trips software mentioned earlier links directly to MS Virtual Earth.

*Happy Counting!

*Of course, there's nothing wrong with traditional paper maps *per se*, but
experience shows that the accuracy of circles drawn in by hand may be
suspect.  So, if nothing else, you may want to check out a
computer-generated map if only to ensure that your circle is accurately
shown.*  *It seems that we have plenty of choices.*

*--
Bill Heck