OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Jack Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:42:21 -0800
I spent today scouting areas for the Delaware Reservoir Christmas Bird Count and was rewarded with some good birds.  12 COMMON REDPOLLS in area G of Delaware Wildlife Area were the most surprising.

I spent most of the time driving rural roads near the town of Radnor (Delaware Co.).  Because of the snow many birds were forced close to the roadsides.  Horned Larks were abundant   Highlights include:

1 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK (dark phase) - at intersection of Jones Rd. and 203
5 American Kestrels
1 American Coot - Dildine Rd. gravel pit
1 Great-horned Owl
1 AMERICAN PIPIT - River Rd
400+ Horned Larks - small flocks everywhere
1 SNOW BUNTING - Radnor Rd., 0.4 miles West of US-23
1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR - David Rd
180 Brown-headed Cowbirds

Delaware Reservoir - Dam

3      Hooded Mergansers