OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:55:01 -0500
On Dec. 8, 2007 I made several stops on Hoover Reservoir and had some
interesting sightings at some of them.

At Oxbow Recreation area I saw two pairs of house finches, numerous
cardinals, and two hairy woodpeckers. I saw two immature red tail hawks
and one adult.  There wasn't much in the way of waterfowl here because the
water was still frozen but I did see some Canada Geese walking on the ice
and three herons in flight.

At Mudhen Marsh I saw the resident kingfisher, a merlin, and two herons in
flight as well as numerous Cardinals.

Baldridge boat ramp was the highlight of the day.  Just south of the boat
ramp there was a large flock of geese.  There were two or three (maybe
even more) subspecies of Canada Geese in the flock.  One was much smaller
than the geese we see in suburban Columbus and was probably a Richardson's
goose.  There were snow geese, greater white fronted geese and even a
tundra Swan in the mix.  Farther south I saw Buffleheads and Hoode
Mergansers (male and female of both species).

Afterward I went to the dam.  There was a pair of Hooded Mergansers and
numerous Mallards on the spillway pond.  Above the dam just off the
eastern shore were two pairs of Buffleheads.
I walked along the western shore just above the dam and saw two great blue
herons fishing.  A kingfisher flew by close to the surface of the water.
I've never seen a kingfisher on that part of the lake so I'm thinking he
was forced south because his territory is frozen over.  Of couse there
were the usual ring billed gulls flying overhead and perched on the light
posts.
Below the dam on the west side of the creek near the top of the hill is a
bald tree that is used as a roost by a couple of black vultures.  I have
observed them there the past two or three weeks.  The tree they use for a
roost was used as a roost by turkey vultures over the summer.