OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Debbie Woischke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:56:31 EST
I live in the far north end of Clintonville, a suburb on the north  side of
Columbus.  I have been keeping a daily record of birds in my yard  (which is
pretty small) for about 3 years now.  Yesterday, Sat., Dec. 9th,  I tied my all
time daily record of 18 species.  They were, in order of  appearance:

Carolina Chickadee (2)
Junco (6)
Mourning Dove (19)
Goldfinch (5)
Downy Woodpecker (1 male, 2 females)
House Sparrow (xx) (I don't count these)
Mockingbird (1)
Blue Jay (2)
House Finch (xx) (don't count these either)
Cardinal (male, female)
Grackle (1)
Crow (2)
White-breasted Nuthatch (1)
Brown-headed Cowbird (female)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (female)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1, in Sibley's juvenile  plumage)
Robin (2)
Cooper's Hawk (1)

There were starlings flying around and they usually descend on my  suet
feeders, especially on such a cold day when so much is still  snow-covered.  I was
- I can't believe I'm saying this - actually hoping  for just one to land so I
could break my all time record!  Also absent were  pigeons, and it isn't
unusual to see a Carolina Wren or even a Song Sparrow  coming through.  Who knows
what I may have missed when I was away from the  window though!  Was trying
hard to make at least one of the female House  Finches into a Pine Siskin, and
the males into Common Redpolls, but it  didn't work.  :)

Today, Sun., the Grackle was in early, and I also had one Tree  Sparrow and
two Starlings (gee, thanks.... where were you yesterday?!).   I'm at 14 species
for the day, but this afternoon has been dead quiet.   Yesterday had some
quiet periods but was pretty steady all day.  Don't know  if it's the rain, the
Cooper's Hawk, they're eating better somewhere else, a  neighborhood cat is
hiding under the deck, there are just fewer birds than in  years past, or
something else.  Theories abound, answers do  not!

Debbie Woischke
Columbus