OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Scharf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 07:32:21 -0800
Yesterday in the afternoon, I saw what appeared to be some kind of hawk hunting across the street from my apartment in a field.  it is in Willoughby about 1/4 mile from the lake.  It was larger than a red tailed hawk, light grey in color but had dark grey across the   tips of its wings.  The field has a lot of high grasses right now and I watched him flying around for quite awhile.  He did not dive into the field but rather "dropped" into the grasses.  He came in horizontally and then went deep into the grass.  I watched for about another 10 minutes but he never reappeared out of the grass.  Is it possible this was a goshawk?  That's about the only hawk I know of that is grey but again it did not fly fast or dive down into the grass.  Does anyone know what this was?

  Thanks

  Joan Scharf
  Willougby Ohio

Joan M. Scharf