OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Kimberly Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:24:08 EST
Fremont Christmas Bird Count -
The Black Swamp Bird Observatory along with the Ohio Young Birders Club and
the Green Creek Wildlife Society will be conducting the Fremont Christmas Bird
 Count on Sunday, December 16th.  We will meet at 7:00 AM at Rudy's
Restaurant in Fremont to assign areas and eat greasy diner food.
For all of the details please call (419) 898-4070 or visit BSBO online  at:
_Click here:  Black Swamp Bird Observatory_
(http://www.bsbobird.org/cbc/fremont_christmas_bird_count.htm)

Common Redpoll Update -
As many as four Common Redpolls were seen off and on throughout the day
yesterday as birders braved the wicked winter weather to visit the BSBO  window on
redpolls. Interestingly enough, they didn't seem to be going for  the
feeders, but instead opting for the persisting goldenrod seed  heads.

This time of year the BSBO Nature Center is only open on Fridays,  Saturdays,
and Sundays, however, there's someone in the office every day and if  you
catch us when we're in and you look like a poor starving birder who really  needs
to see a redpoll, we'll let you in.  While the birds were very  cooperative,
feeding mostly right outside the window, they were also seen  feeding in the
stands of goldenrod along the South side of the building and all  along the
canal that runs just behind our building. If no one is around to  let you in the
building be sure to check these areas.  We also have a  walking trail that
makes a loop through goldenrod laden habitat. The trail  entrance is at the
Southwest edge of the picnic on the left side of our  building.

If you decide to venture out this morning please be careful!  While  the road
crews have been out in force there may still be some slick spots. Just
remember what 90's rap artist "Vanilla Ice" used to say and watch out for  the Ice
Ice Baby!

Kim Kaufman, Education Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory
13551 West State Route 2
Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449
(419) 898-4070
_www.bsbobird.org_ (http://www.bsbobird.org/)

 Check out AOL Money & Finance's list of the _hottest products_
(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)  and _top money
wasters_
(http://money.aol.com/top5/general/ways-you-are-wasting-money?NCID=aoltop00030000000002)  of  2007.