OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:45:46 -0500
Paul Gardner invited comments regarding the new Ohio Birding Checklist with Difficulty Codes. Before I throw my 2 cents into the discussion let me say that I like the list, generally agree with it and think it will be quite useful. I also realize that projects like this, by their very nature, will always have a few species codes that people disagree with. It is unlikely that any two birders working alone would come up with the exact difficulty codes for 416 species. Overall I found the list accurate. That said, and realizing I am splitting hairs, here are my perceptions on some codes I would have assigned differently.

1)      I consider Tennessee and Bay-breasted Warbler, which were both given a code 2, among the most common migrant warblers and would have given them a code 1 just as Nashville and Magnolia Warbler and American Redstart were.

2)      I assume Great Black-backed Gull was given a code 1 because it is hard to miss along the Lake Erie shoreline. In the southern part of the state they are accidental (only two records in southwestern Ohio). If the criteria for code 1 are that as long as a certain species is common in one part of the state but absent or rare in another it still qualifies as code 1, then a number of southern species should probably also be given code 1 that are now assigned a code 2 given they're restricted range. Another example of this is Carolina and Black-capped Chickadee, both rightfully assigned codes 1. On the other hand there are a number of species on the list given a code 2 that are common in southern Ohio but less so in northern Ohio. Using the criteria mentioned above I think Yellow-throated Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush and Yellow-throated Vireo, all easy to find species in southern and eastern Ohio should be given a code 1. All of those species are at least as common as Blue-winged Warbler, which is also given a code 1. On the other hand maybe Great Black-backed Gull should be given code 2.

3)      I think Eastern Wood-Pewee and Acadian Flycatcher, both given codes 2, are as common and easy to find as Great Crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Eastern Phoebe and Least Flycatcher all of which were assigned codes 1.

Just a few thoughts and I appreciate the efforts of all who put the checklist together.

Jay Stenger

Cincinnati, Ohio