OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ethan Kistler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:26:52 -0800
Yes, both Chickadees are Code 1 birds. I was giving an example on how one chickadee is common in one region but almost absent in another and still remained a Code 1. Sorry for the confusion.

  This has been a really interesting discussion and I really want to thank Paul Gardner, Dan Sanders, Greg Miller, Bill Whan and Joe Hammond for putting together the codes.

  Ethan Kistler
  Newton Falls, Ohio

Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I think that as a general statewide bird checklist, the difficulty codes are
pretty accurate. Your own mileage may vary, but in general, I think the list
is well reflective of the majority of birders' experiences in finding these
birds. Bill Heck's point about the ease of seeing the bird on any given trip
to where it regularly occurs is a good one.

The code list did make me feel a little sheepish about not having a Code 1
bird on my state list, but that just made the bird my number one target for
2008.

Regarding Ethan Kistler's example: Perhaps I am looking at the wrong
checklist, but aren't both chickadees under code 1 in this system?
Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio