OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:24:11 -0500
I'll chime in with my thanks to all who contributed these great codes, great
tools for year-listing and more.

Joining the hair-splitting, my two cents worth: Travel geography and expense
is a variable that should be controlled in a way that is neutral for all
locations in the state. Geo-neutral codes leave only the comparative birding
challenge in the rankings. The Capitol-centrist approach is sort of like
this but not quite, I think.

I suggest that state-level codes regard each chase as two exercises: 1)
staging for access to a bird location; a personal challenge that varies
based on residence and travel opportunity. 2) The birding challenge wherein
we exercise our skills built on personal experience as we hope for a little
luck. This would include the hiking and traveling in special conveyances and
such that we use to increase our chance of seeing a species after we have
traveled to stage for the chase.

The difficulty codes should address the birding challenge without
considering the staging challenge (I would add 2 points to everything on the
lake, but that's a personal hassle ranking, not a birding challenge).

I live in southern Ohio and it's a time-challenge and a significant expense
to travel to Lake Erie for all the great birds found there, DAILY. I make
the trip occasionally for target birds; most recently for the Pine Grosbeak.

My example: My trip to Obee Road was a staging interval, not a birding
challenge. If I lived along Obee Road my staging interval would have been
very limited but the birding challenge would have been the same. Just like
everyone else, I'd have waited twenty or so years for another chance to see
the Pine Grosbeak that dropped in down the road!

I suggest that all codes assume a thirty minute drive to a birding challenge
location whether chasing a target or using skills and experience to find and
see a particular species or set of species, regardless of where a particular
birder lives. Neutralize the staging burden.

Tom Bain
The Glaciated Allegheny Plateau
Ross County