OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Counts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:43:31 -0500
For the second time this fall I've had a COMMON REDPOLL at my nyger feeder in Northern Wyandot Co. He ends up feeding on the ground since he can not master the upsidedown feeder! All of my SISKINS, PURPLE FINCH, and RED BREASTED NUTHATCH have seemed to move on.

My feeders have been void of birds the past three days. The redpoll arrived with about 25 goldfinch, but they soon took off.

I've had MERLINS at my feeders in years gone by and the yard is usually void of birds the entire day. Usually Cooper's and Sharp-Shinned hawks will stay for a short time and then move on, with the birds returning soon after.

I've thought Shrike also but can not explain why things have been so slow lately.

On another note, I can't wait to see the results of the Christmas bird counts this year and the numbers of Northern invaders. It should be very interesting.

Rick Counts
Wyandot Co.