OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Julie Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:33:06 -0500
Hi,

For the past 6 years, Black Swamp Bird Observatory, in partnership with the
Ohio Division of Wildlife, has been coordinating the Ohio Winter Bird Atlas
during the month of January.  The objectives of this project are to document
Ohio winter bird distribution, species use of special areas, and provide an
index of abundance for species. Many thanks to those of you who have spent
many hours assisting in covering over 684 of the 784 existing Delorme grid
blocks!

This January is our final year of field work before the information is
analyzed and assimilated into a final product similar to the breeding bird
atlas. There are many blocks which have zero or less than 20 species
documented. Now, I know there should be more than 20 wintering species in
any 50 square mile block of Ohio, and with the active and talented birding
community in the state, I know that we can fill in the empty blocks or low
species blocks during 2008.

Helping out is simple as recording your sightings from each block you pass
through  anytime you're out and about anywhere in the state.  Or, why not
get your birding friends together and plan a "Block Busting" field trip.
Our Ohio Young Birders Club "busted some breeding bird blocks" with Aaron
Boone this summer and had a blast! Any observations can be of great help.
You can send your sightings directly to me via e-mail or mail the forms to
the Observatory.

Details about the Ohio Winter Bird Atlas project, including a list of the
areas needing more coverage and an Ohio map highlighting those areas are
available at www.bsbobird.org <http://www.bsbobird.org/> . Directions and
field forms can be downloaded from the website and are available in PDF
form.  You may want to check the list of observed species for blocks of
interest to you as well.  Common species are still missing from some blocks.
Can anyone think of a 50 sq. mile area that doesn't have at least one
cardinal?  Selected species maps are available on the website for your
viewing (ex. American Crow, White-breasted Nuthatch, American Black Duck,
and others).

Be sure to visit the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas website (another great
opportunity to make your birding count) for additional information about
these blocks.

Why not make your birding count and help with this important project while
you are out and about in January!

All the best to you in the New Year!

Julie Shieldcastle

Ohio Winter Bird Atlas Coordinator