OHIO-BIRDS Archives

December 2007

From:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:19:24 +0000
Ohio birders,

Within the last hour, I had a simply gorgeous adult Northen Goshawk at the Obee Road/295 location in the Oak Openings.  It was not in any type of migratory mode - it flew in low from the south, and perched on the south side of Obee only 20yds from where I stood.  Wow, what an impressive raptor that is.  It flew to the north, low over the thicket and out of sight.  I suspect it is hanging around.

20 minutes later, both Pine Grosbeaks flew in from the north together and landed close to their usual position.  For the first time, I was able to actually watch them feed, only a few feet off the ground and away from the road.

I type this message from the Mallard Lake feeders in Oak Openings Park where there are 2 Common Redpolls and a half dozen Pine Siskins.

Feeling a lot like the U.P.!

Greg Links

Somewhere near Toledo