OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Krejci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:49:15 -0800
This afternoon, (3:30 PM)  on a return trip from Cleveland to Catawba Island, we took a detour through Medusa Marsh, off Rt. 2 (Erie County) east of Sandusky Bay Bridge.  At the east end of the marsh area where the older bald eagle nest is, we spotted an adult bald leaving the marsh area, headed northeast over the bay.  I thought scanning the nest area would prove futile, but not only did we see another full adult in the trees near the nest, but after a minute or so we saw a third full adult in the nest.  This bird seemed to be sprucing up, moving sticks and re-inserting them, dropping clumps of something over the side.  The mate (?) just sat nearby watching the proceedings, and keeping an eye out for curiosity seekers.  What a thrill!  Moving down Barrett Rd. (which runs next to the Marsh area) we saw hundreds of Canada geese on the ice.  The cloudiness of the sky prevented a good look to see if there were any varients in this flock.  As we were scanning the area, we
 spotted 2 more immature balds in the trees along the back of the marsh.  And as we watched them, another immature flew over us and the marsh looking for a place to roost for the night.  A pretty good count for a quick look.  We will try to drive past the marsh nest and watch for what develops when we head to Cleveland (about 3 times a week).

  Mary Krejci
  Catawba Island