OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Jack Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:01:13 -0800
Sean Williams and I birded Killdeer Plains WA and
Big Island WA this morning from 8:30-12:30. We spent most
of the time in the car and kept a detailed count of raptors.
Overall we counted 8 BALD EAGLES, 16 Northern Harriers,
9 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS (3 dark phase), 24 Red-tailed Hawks and
8 American Kestrels.  31 Eastern Meadowlarks at KPWA brightened
up the day.

Pond 27 at KPWA was frozen except for three small holes that
were loaded with waterfowl.  We conservatively estimated
4500 geese and 7500 dabbling ducks in the immediate area.
6 TUNDRA SWANS and one Mute Swan also joined the party.
There was one GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE among the
Canada Geese and we later saw 4 more on the island in the
above-ground reservoir.  Of the 7500 ducks, there were 4
Gadwall, about 1000 American Black Ducks, and 80+ Northern
Pintail.  The rest were Mallards.  In all likelihood there
were many more pintail, but we could only see 80 at any given
time.

2 SNOW GEESE were mixed in with many hundred Canada Geese in
the corn stubble southwest of the Prospect-Upper Sandusky Rd
and Irvin-Shoots Rd intersection.

 We stopped at Delaware Reservoir on our way home and saw two
lingering Bonaparte's Gull's amongst many ring-billeds.

Complete list:

5    Greater White-fronted Goose
2    Snow Goose
5200 Canada Goose