OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Tim Colborn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim Colborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:56:47 -0500
Yesterday, we entertained the first Common Redpolls (4) to show up at our feeders this winter.  With increasing temperatures and decreasing snow cover, I imagined my next Redpoll sighting might not be until the next snow storm up here in northern Ohio.  I was wrong.  Returning to the house from some earlier activities, I glanced at the thistle feeder in the back yard and noticed several Redpolls.  Looking to the ground beneath the feeders, I started to count additional birds arriving at a total of sixteen (16).  They were taking advantage of the seed that had fallen to the ground but had been covered with snow earlier in the week.  Do I dare hope these northerly finches will visit me for the remainder of the season?  I'll keep the feeders full just in case.

Other birds availing themselves to our feeders today included the expected Downy Woodpecker, both Nuthatches, House Finch and American Goldfinch.

Good birding.

Tim Colborn