OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:16:28 -0500
This morning at 11:15 I found the Merlin at Greenlawn Cemetery. It was at
the very top of a tree where it was frequently seen last year, a pine tree
just east of the yellow line road in Section J. This is west of the Chapel
and northwest of Thurber Pond. The tree appears to be dead at the top but
alive at the bottom. Considerably more of the tree is dead than last year.

After I had observed it for about five minutes, it began spreading it wings,
then flew in a circle of perhaps 100 yards and returned to the same tree,
but perched about 8-10 feet lower than before.

Other birds of interest included several Red-breasted Nuthatches at the
feeders, two flyover Sharp-shinned Hawks and a Cooper's Hawk. I did not see
any Pine Siskins, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers or Pine Warblers, all of which
have been seen in the area. Other common winter birds were at the feeders,
but there were very few other birds throughout the cemetery.

Gene Stauffer

Grove City