OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:07:37 -0500
The Columbus Audubon trip along the Scioto River in Dublin (NW suburb of Columbus) found some neat birds despite rather cold, dreary weather.  we visited Scioto Park, Kiwanis Preserve, O'Shaughnessy dam, Traphagen Preserve, and Twin Lakes Park.  The recent rain and snow-melt made the river high & fast, so it held little waterfowl.  But we did eventually find some diverse waterbirds up at Twin Lakes park and quarries just north of them.  Lanbirds were what you might expect for the date, although we did stumble across some unusual things.  Highlights included:

Ring-necked Ducks - 45+ lurking in a quarry north of Twin Lakes
Redhead - a single male was at Twin Lakes
Ruddy Ducks - 3 in the quarry north of Twin Lakes
Hooded Merganser - small flocks were at Scioto park and Twin Lakes
Bald Eagle - a juvenile was perched in the trees south of the dam.  With fiar numbers of fish stunned by the high waterflow over the dam, he might stick around for a bit.
Pileated Woodpecker - 1 was at Scioto park early

Mammals were almost more interesting than birds, with deer at several locations, including a herd that raced by us pursued by a dog, and a pair of coyotes roaming in the dry land areas of the quarry north of Twin Lakes.