OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:02:34 -0500
Rita, greetings--
        Northern harriers will roost communally when there are enough of them
in a given area. There is some published research for Ohio: Bildstein,
Kenneth L. 1979. Fluctuations in the number of Northern Harriers (Circus
cyaneus hudsonius) at communal roosts in south central Ohio. Raptor
Resarch 13:40-46.  You are lucky, since comparatively few birders get to
witness this; these roosts usually break up a few minutes before dawn,
and form a few minutes after--not when you'll find many observers at Magee!
        They seem to be the nocturnal-roosting counterparts of day-roosting
short-eared owls in many spots. Both roost on the ground by preference
(in the absence of heavy snow), and feed with similar techniques on the
same small rodents in grassland habitats, but they just occupy different
time periods.  I have often seen many of both in a few minutes at dusk
at places like Killdeer Plains, where foraging harriers are, when it
starts to grow dark, harrassed by increasing numbers of owls until the
"shift change" is complete.
Nice observation,
Bill Whan
Columbus