OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
"McCormac, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
McCormac, Jim
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:42:40 -0500
Hi all,

I too have seen many Northern Harriers in the field that Paul mentioned.
It is nearly a thousand contiguous acres of grassland; part of a massive
Conservation Reserve Program contract. This site is especially
significant as it is smack in the middle of the former Pickaway Plains,
one of Ohio's original prairie regions. There are also an undetermined
number of Short-eared Owls there. We'll want to keep a watchful eye for
breeding harriers and Short-eared Owls here next nesting season.

If you find yourself in this area, check it out, and dusk will be best.
There is a changing of the guard towards nightfall, as the harriers
begin to call it a day and head into the grasses to roost, and the owls
emerge and begin hunting. If you do make a visit, let us know what you
see. I've been trying to get there at dusk for a month now and have yet
to find time.

This area is often referred to as "Charlie's Pond". There is a
description of the area at the Ohio Ornithological Society's site guide:
http://www.ohiobirds.org/birdingsites/showsite.php?Site_ID=44

The grasslands can easily be observed from the surrounding country
roads.

Jim McCormac

Jim McCormac
Ohio Division of Wildlife