OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Jessica Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jessica Lowery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:18:57 -0500

Hello birders,
I need help with a hawk i.d. too! I have some not-great pictures I'll attach...
Markings: good-sized, brown head and mottled brown and white back, very long and thin tail with thick stripes, very faint cinnamon bars on chest with very white belly. long smooth yellow legs, yellow and black beak.
Behavior: hunting birds. very low to the ground the entire time, even spending time on the ground. scratching belly with foot in one picture.

In the field I thought it might be a female harrier, now I'm not sure.

-jessica-
columbus, OH