OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gene Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:04:18 -0500
I visited Pickerington Ponds Metro Park this afternoon. I started at the
Wood Duck picnic area, and looking north from the blind to Mallard Marsh, I
saw a small area of open water with a large flock of Mallards, with two
Northern Pintails in the middle. The only other significant birds here were
one adult and one juvenile White-crowned Sparrows.

I moved to the Glacier Knoll picnic area overlooking Arrowhead Marsh, which
had some open water on the far side, but it held only Mallards and a few
Canada Geese.

Finally at Ellis Pond I found many more Mallards, many American Black Ducks,
two more Northern Pintails, three Northern Shovelers and four Green-winged
Teal. I also flushed a Great Blue Heron from the ditch at the Bowen Road
viewing area.

Gene Stauffer

Grove City