OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:55:25 EST
Hello!

From about 11:30 AM to 3:45 PM today, Ken Davis, Dan Sanders, and I checked
out the Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area.  The more notable observations
included the following:

Greater White-Fronted Goose-15 mixed in with a large flock of Canada Geese
near open holes in the ice at Pond 27.  Five were observed in the eastern  pond
whereas 10 were in the western pond.
Northern Pintail and Black Duck-5 to 7 each in Pond 27
Snow Goose-2 mixed in with the Canada Geese at westernmost Pond 27
A few each of Tundra, Trumpeter, and Mute Swans in Pond 27 and 2 Trumpeters
in the upland reservoir
Short-Eared Owl-surprisingly, one flying high near Pond 27 at noon
Northern Shrike-good views of 1 in the field south of CH-71 and west of
CH-115
Eastern Meadowlark-7 in the same field as the Shrike
Northern Harrier-9 or 10
Red-Tailed Hawk-10 or so
American Kestrel-4
Horned Lark

We did not see any Rough-Legged Hawks, Red-Headed Woodpeckers, Bald  Eagles,
Lapland Longspurs, or Snow Buntings as hoped.  Personally, I have  yet to see
any Red-Headed Woodpeckers in their traditional haunts at Abraham  Marsh or
Pond 33 in three visits this past month.  We looked through the  numerous Canada
Geese but could not find any Cackling Geese.  Directions to  Killdeer can be
found on the OOS or ODNR web sites.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio