OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Fazio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:36:00 -0800
I was also at Killdeer Plains Friday ... arriving at Pond
  27 at 5:30 pm.

  The geese were launching in several directions in
  successive waves with many already well in the distance
  (to the horizon) to the southeast. Roughly  2500
  Canada Geese left the immediate area leaving 2200
  on the ice at Pond 27 to sift through. A single
  Greater White-fronted Goose was seen within one
  flock leaving to the southeast. Scoping the
  the birds at idle, I found a flock of 5 Cackling Geese.
  I failed to locate any Snows.

  The puddle duck numbers were drastically reduced
  from that reported a couple of days earlier. I found
  no more than about 600 Mallards, 120 American
  Black Ducks, and 3 Northern Pintails on Pond 27.

  Another 840 Canadas were on the reservoir to the
  west, and while there a flock of 40+ Redhead
  headed south quite high.

  As noted by others, the Short-eared Owls were
  active before sunset ... a quick 10 minute drive
  produced 13 birds.

  cheers

  Vic Fazio
  Shaker Hts, OH

[log in to unmask] wrote:
  Hello!

From about 11:30 AM to 3:45 PM today, Ken Davis, Dan Sanders, and I checked
out the Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area. The more notable observations
included the following:

Greater White-Fronted Goose-15 mixed in with a large flock of Canada Geese
near open holes in the ice at Pond 27. Five were observed in the eastern pond
whereas 10 were in the western pond.
Northern Pintail and Black Duck-5 to 7 each in Pond 27
Snow Goose-2 mixed in with the Canada Geese at westernmost Pond 27
A few each of Tundra, Trumpeter, and Mute Swans in Pond 27 and 2 Trumpeters
in the upland reservoir
Short-Eared Owl-surprisingly, one flying high near Pond 27 at noon
Northern Shrike-good views of 1 in the field south of CH-71 and west of
CH-115
Eastern Meadowlark-7 in the same field as the Shrike
Northern Harrier-9 or 10
Red-Tailed Hawk-10 or so
American Kestrel-4
Horned Lark

We did not see any Rough-Legged Hawks, Red-Headed Woodpeckers, Bald Eagles,
Lapland Longspurs, or Snow Buntings as hoped. Personally, I have yet to see
any Red-Headed Woodpeckers in their traditional haunts at Abraham Marsh or
Pond 33 in three visits this past month. We looked through the numerous Canada
Geese but could not find any Cackling Geese. Directions to Killdeer can be
found on the OOS or ODNR web sites.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio