OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:37:31 -0500
This morning I decided to go birding despite the frigid weather.  I've
noticed that birds don't seem to mind whether it's cold or warm as long as
the sun is out.  In all, I added 7 new species to my list for January 2008
but the highlights of the day included an Eastern Towhee, a Fox Sparrow,
and a Cedar Waxwing.
Sharon Woods 1/20/2008

Schrock Lake
59 Canada Geese

Spring Creek Trail
1 Northern Harrier
5 Bluejays
1 Barred Owl
4 Downy Woodpeckers
1 Hairy Woodpecker
2 Northern Flickers
2 Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
4 Carolina Chickadees
2 Carolina Wrens
2 Northern Cardinals
1 Northern Mockingbird
4 Eastern Bluebirds
1 White-Breasted Nuthatch
4 American Crows

Edward S. Thompson Trail
7 Northern Cardinals
7Tufted Titmice
5 Carolina Chickadees
2 Mourning Doves
1 American Robin
4 White-Breasted Nuthatches
2 Red-Bellied Woodpeckers
2 Downy Woodpeckers

Oak Openings Trail
1 Eastern Towhee
1 Fox Sparrow

Hoover Reservoir 1/20/2008

Big Walnut Creek below the dam
Mallards
Ruddy Ducks
Common Mergansers
Hooded Mergansers
Buffleheads

Trees bordering the soccer field below the dam
5 Song Sparrows
3 American Robins
1 Cedar Waxwing
1 Brown Creeper

Above the Dam
Canada Geese
Mallards
Ring Billed Gulls
Rock Pigeons
Buffleheads
Ruddy Ducks
Hooded Mergansers

Some of the pictures I took can be found here
http://www.dropshots.com/alasala#date/2008-01-20/11:30:06

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH