OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
"Lehman, Jay" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lehman, Jay
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:53:15 -0500
Sorry for the delayed post.  I have been away from an internet
connection for the past two days, and got back home late last night.

On Friday, 01/18/08, after work, I found 40 Northern Shovelers (#82) at
Camp Dennison on the east side of Cincinnati.

Saturday, 01/19/08, at Killdeer Plains WA:  Six Greater White-fronted
Goose (#83), five Tundra Swans (#84), one Mute Swan (#85), one drake
Northern Pintail (#86), and four Rough-legged Hawks (RLHA) (#87).  The
waterfowl were in pond 27.  The RLHA were in the vicinity of the
Sportsman Center and east.  There were at least two different sightings
of Northern Shrike, but I never found this bird ...or two.

There was an adult Bald Eagle (#88) flying west near the intersection of
Road 46 and road 112 north of Upper Sandusky.  I looked for but did not
find flocks of Horned Larks, longspurs and Snow Buntings in this area.

I continued north to the Toledo area, where between 2:45 and 3:30 pm in
Woodlawn Cemetery, I found five Common Redpolls (#89) quietly feeding on
sweet gum balls with a flock of 30 American Goldfinch.  These birds were
in the vicinity of the high bridge and toward Central Avenue.  I had to
check the Sweet Gum trees carefully to find these birds.  I added
Black-capped Chickadee (#90) at the feeders at the Oak Openings
Metropark Nature Center.  At the nearby location

On Sunday, 01/20/08, I checked the entry road at Magee Marsh from the
Black Swamp BO building east to the lake for about 1.5 hours looking for
the Northern Shrike.  No luck.  The bird could have been hunting very
low to stay out of the wind.  I saw an adult Bald Eagle in the area.

At East Harbor SP, I added two Great Black-backed Gulls (#91) and about
10 Common Mergansers (#92).  I stopped at Bay View at the spit, looking
for the previously reported Snow Buntings but found none.  There were
six valiant Ruddy Ducks in the only, very small open water hole on the
east side of the spit.

Heading east toward E 72nd Street, I stopped at Rocky River, where I
found 15 Common Golden-eye (#94) and two female BLACK SCOTERS (#95), 12
Ruddy Ducks and three American Coot.

At E. 72nd Street, I found six different Glaucous Gulls (one of them an
adult) (#96), three Iceland Gulls (#97), two different Lesser
Black-backed Gulls (#98) and one immature Thayer's Gull (#99).

At Sims Park, there were 20 Common Golden-eye and a flock of about 40
scaup.  It was getting too dark for identification.

Jay

Jay G. Lehman

Cincinnati, OH