OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:00:47 -0500
The red on cardueline finches is a different red from that on cardinals and
tanagers.  The house finch red is dependent on biochemical processing of
certain nutrients in their diets.  I used to have a reference for this, but
I can't find it at the moment.  Out west, it is not uncommon to see house
finches ranging from deep rose through pink to orange and even yellow.

I personally believe that the process is hormone-linked as well.  It seems
to me that western house finches are all pretty uniform by the middle of the
breeding season.

Cheers,

BOB¢¼