OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:50:18 -0800
Hey all -

Many sharp eyeballs scanned the gull flock at E. 72nd
Street this morning.  White-winged species and Lesser
Black-backeds were easy to come by, especially with
the ice shelf pushing the birds closer to us.  Here
are rough numbers:

Bonaparte's Gull  1
Thayer's Gull  2  distant adult and stunning looks at
a point-blank second-winter
Iceland Gull  5  two adults were both Kumlein's and
three first-yr birds
Lesser Black-backed Gull  15  three adults were
present, and every age group was represented
Glaucous Gull  8  first-yr, third-yr, and adult birds

There was also interesting hybrid-type (first-yr
GlacuousxHerring?), but I will let others touch on
that.  John Pogacnik reported a third-year California
Gull earlier, and we did see a darker-mantled
third-year gull, but overall jizz, bill size, etc. of
that bird were closer to Herring.

Good birding all -
Gabe Leidy
Cleveland