OHIO-BIRDS Archives

January 2008

From:
William Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:16:58 -0500
At 5:15 pm today Roxanne and I observed 2 seows  on SR 18 2 1/2 mi east of
I-75 exit 167 (North Baltimore/Fostoria).  The birds appeared to have just come
up in an area posted as a "wildlife protection area" at the east edge of
Bairdstown where the SR 18  crosses the CSX tracks.  They were hunting on both
sides of the road and were easily visbile from the roadway.
These are the first Short-eared Owls we have encountered in our Winter Bird
Atlas Blocks since we began working on it at its inception.  We don't know
whether this area is public or private but it seems to be working as we see
Red-tailed Hawks and American Kestrels frequenting the area as well.

Bill & Roxanne Rinehart
Bloomdale, Ohio
Southern Wood Co.